Thứ Ba, 22 tháng 10, 2013

Acer Aspire V5-171-6471 11.6-Inch Deals

By S. Andrews (Norwich, CT) -
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-171-6471 11.6-Inch Laptop (Silky Silver) (Personal Computers)
Funny that companies are trying to make these smaller laptops seem like something new. They were everywhere a few years ago; with screen sizes from 7 to 14" and simply called netbooks. For whatever reason, at the time, they bombed and just didn't sell so they were discontinued by most major manufacturers. Skip ahead just a couple years and tablets popped up on the scene and as of the time of this writing (7-14-13) are all the rage. And guess what the screen sizes are...7-10". While I think they are a great form of entertainment (I purchased one myself, an Asus 10.1 Transformer - currently their top of the line for almost a year).

While tablets come in a variety of sizes and are very easy to use (their big selling point) they really are suited for entertainment primarily. The public has finally starting noticing this and even through you can add a keyboard to a tablet, it still is very limited using "real world" applications. While many people have written programs (apps) to try to expand their usefulness, a word processor or spreadsheet on a tablet is far more complicated than on a Mac or PC. Thus the resurrection of what people now refer to as "smaller computers" (a.k.a., netbooks).

I write reviews and articles for a variety of blogs and yes, even newspapers (contrary to popular belief they do still exist though the number is dwindling fast). I tried using my top-of-the-line Asus tablet with a variety of word processing applications and while I'm looking for a program with all the features I need, salespeople seem to be programed to talk about nothing but "pinch and zoom" and the gigantic 32 Gig of storage memory they contain. No matter what you ask them they always bring the subject back to that. It's like dangling shiny trinkets in front of a baby and listening to them "oooo" and "ahhh" over the pretty shiny things. Kids, time to grow up.

While tablets certainly have made a place for themselves and at the moment are continuing to grow in popularity they really are most practical for entertainment and not productivity. I'm not saying you can't send off an e-mail or edit a document but to write a 5 or 6 page article (even if you have a keyboard for your tablet as I, myself do) you really need something with a little more power and better design...at least for writing. And that means a fully functional word processor, be it MS Word, Open Office. But many times, in writing articles, when I start in the research phase I might have 20 tabs open in a browser, a word processing program, a drawing program with something as simple as clip art open as well. Guess what happens to a tablet (mine actually has 64 gig of ram). What happens is that it comes to a screeching halt.

 By Robert J. Polack "Local Food Fan" (Southeast Missouri) -
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-171-6471 11.6-Inch Laptop (Silky Silver) (Personal Computers)
It might be helpful to describe my PREVIOUS computer. For the last two plus years I have been using an Acer one, 10.5" notebook. I had upgraded the ram to 2 GB. I never had anything that small before, but really I liked the size, and also the ACER quality (for the price).

I did a lot of research before I bought this new ACER. I'm a tightwad and I didn't want to pay for any more than I needed. After the first week I am totally pleased.

One of the problems with the previous notebook was the undersized keys and keyboard. The move up to 11.5 inches has allowed for full sized, fully spaced keys. I'm a writer and I need a real keyboard that I can use anywhere. Someone else referred to these keys as "chiclets". Yes, they protrude up individually through the casing. They're very easy to type on. It verges on fun. The only thing that concerns me is that they may accumulate dirt, which may be difficult to get out. But, that can't be any worse than most other keyboards.

I don't do any gaming; So, the 6 GB is really great. The processor and RAM are quite adequate for word processing, spreadsheets, surfing, and watching Netflix.

It is super slim, portable and very light. Note, however, that the power cable is on the right side. I would prefer the left, but it's not a big deal.

By M. Morell "Marvin" (Las Vegas, Nevada USA) -
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-171-6471 11.6-Inch Laptop (Silky Silver) (Personal Computers)
I would give this laptop a Four except that its battery life is quite poor. After adjusting the power settings for minimum power, I have trouble getting more than three hours from it. Acer should have give it a larger battery. Acer doesn't have a larger battery available for after market either.

Like the machine, hate the battery!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét